ROUTE GR 114 "CAMINO NATURAL DEL GUADIANA"
- Length: 215 km in its Siberian stage, 947.52 km in its complete route.
- Nº of Stages: Here we will mention only the 10 that take place in La Siberia.
- Values: Great diversity of flora and fauna present throughout the tour; refuge of wintering birds, various protected spaces. Numerous viewpoints and beaches; spectacular views, emblematic places of all kinds. Possibility of carrying out varied aquatic practices, a whole range that ranges from sport fishing to navigation.
The GR 114 is a path that follows the course of the Guadiana river from Albacete until arriving at Huelva, passing previously by Ciudad Real, Cáceres and Badajoz. It is an immense route, which does not reach La Siberia until Stage 15.
The "Siberian" stages of GR 114 would be the following:
- Stage 15: Puebla de Don Rodrigo – Refugio de Valhondillo (17 km).
- Stage 16: Refugio de Valhondillo – Villarta de los Montes (22 km).
- Stage 17: Villarta de los Montes – Helechosa de los Montes (21 km).
- Stage 18: Helechosa de los Montes – Poblado de Gaudisa (22 km).
- Stage 19: Poblado de Gaudisa – Castilblanco (20 km).
- Stage 20: Castilblanco – Herrera del Duque (17 km).
- Stage 21: Herrera del Duque – Peloche – Puerto Peña (26 km).
- Stage 22: Puerto Peña – Casas de Don Pedro (21 km).
- Stage 23: Casas de Don Pedro – Puebla de Alcocer (21 km).
- Stage 24: Puebla de Alcocer – Orellana la Vieja (28 km).
Stage 15 begins crossing the Straits of the Hoces, beautiful throat, of impressive farrallones, some of more than 100 m of height. You can enjoy a good swim in this beautiful place.
We continue our journey downstream (stages 16 to 18), in the direction of the reservoir of Cíjara, which is surrounded by the Regional Reserve of Hunting of the Cíjara and by Montes de Utilidad Pública, a further opportunity to delight in the flora and fauna of the zone, seated the latter in spectacular rocky places like Portillo del Cíjara.
After crossing the Cíjara dam, we follow the course of the Guadiana (stages 19 to 21), making a 90º break through the García de Sola reservoir. The towns of Valdecaballeros and Peloche have jetties, beaches and other alternatives for water activities in this part of the route, also encompassing activities related to sport fishing. At the end of stage 21 we find one of the most emblematic Siberian sites, the Rock of Puerto Peña in the marsh of García de Sola. Puerto Peña stands out for its large colony of griffon vultures, the largest existing in Badajoz, as well as for the presence of other birds. The ornithological tourism that characterizes this area is complemented by other activities such as navigation, swimming or climbing. Without leaving Puerto Peña, and already in stage 22, it is a must visit the Interpretation Center of the Rupícola Fauna of Puerto Peña, which provides us with all the information related to the ecological diversity of the SPA "Sierra de los Golondrinos y Puerto Peña".
After crossing Puerto Peña, the Guadiana already enters the ZIR "Orellana Reservoir and Sierra de Pela", the most interesting ornithological tourist destination in Extremadura along with the La Serena Reservoir, further south. We find in this area enclaves of interest such as the Sierra de Lares, the Castle of Puebla de Alcocer (Stage 23), the Calicantos beach in Casas de Don Pedro and the beach of Los Llanos in Esparragosa de Lares.